market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Need Help with Sales

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: idyllwild farm <idyllwildfarm AT gmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Need Help with Sales
  • Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 18:43:46 -0400

The only things I'd add (and I realize distances in TX can be extreme) is that you might want to look into what's going on in "nearby" larger cities. There might be enough action to justify the trip. I used to go 4 hours round trip, three times a week because it was worth getting into the bigger markets.
Locally, don't also forget guerrilla marketing techniques, like handbills and flyers with coupons in town, or surrounding houses, call local radio talk shows or the paper just to get your name out (we got interviewed about turkeys we raised one year) and the little things, like a table under some shade on the honor system, etc. At this point in the year, anything like that that will move some stuff is good. You may also shift from picking everything on the 5 acres to cutting out what you aren't selling to reduce your labor costs. Alternatively, call up a local food bank and allow them to come in with volunteers and clean out an area of stuff  you aren't selling and take the deduction.