market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Need Help with Sales

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: <clearviewfarm AT bluefrog.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Need Help with Sales
  • Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 07:53:40 -0700

I think you need to grow at least enough to make it worth your while to do
both marketing venues, fully knowing that you may be short or long on certain
items each week. As I understand it, the CSA model is such that you may have
a plethora or "famine" of certain things every distribution, depending on the
weather, weeds, bugs, etc. The same goes for any other marketing venue. I
try to balance my priorities, so that everyone gets something. My Cornell
vegetable suggested that I have garden plots for each market outlet, so that
each one gets served at least something. My farmers market customers fully
realize that I may not have something they want in a given week, although I
try to meet their wants.

Kurt Forman
Clearview Farm
Palmyra, NY 14522