market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Need Help with Sales

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Marcy" <mlynnn AT wildblue.net>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Need Help with Sales
  • Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 23:34:25 -0600

See if you can find a Slow Food group nearby and find out which restaurants they frequent. Donate some produce for one of their events, and then be there to talk up your farm.  Check if there are any chefs involved in the Chefs Collaborative around.  Any colleges or corporate accounts that Bon Appetit Management services?  They took over food services for a college nearby and they’re really focused on utilizing local produce. Read the food column in the newspapers and follow-up.

Are there like-minded growers nearby that you can work together with on restaurant accounts?  Coordinate who will grow which crops and service the accounts with joint availability lists, delivery and invoicing.

Visit the chefs with your favorite seed catalogs and ask what they want you to grow.

My two cents…

Marcy

SE  Colo, grasshopper zone