market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Need Help with Sales

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pamela Crowe <sustainableharvestsc AT gmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Need Help with Sales
  • Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 10:42:59 -0400

On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 9:45 AM, TxBeeFarmer <txbeefarmer AT gmail.com> wrote:
My problem is sales, or should I say lack of sales.  Oh sure, there's the Farmers' Market and a few people who want some things delivered, but I need real sales!

Mark---

When this happened in this area years ago, the farmers were unloading into the wholesale market just to recoup costs initially because of the time factor.

There is the Farm to School program and it might be worth checking into for you. In this area because of the need for ready to eat processing on many items, the schools will only take certain produce----tomatoes, cucumbers, potatoes, cabbage, etc. You may or may not have GAP certification which is necessary for this area and a few other items like product liability insurance, etc. in order to sell to them. You need these same things to  sell to larger groceries anyway.

You need to learn your different markets first before just planting stuff and assuming people will buy whatever.

Pam
SC