market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Need Help with Sales

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: SaladG AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Need Help with Sales
  • Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 13:26:07 EDT

Mark a few years ago I started to call on restaurants and talking to their main chefs, and salad chefs and ask them if there was anything we could grow for them that they wanted to put on their customers plates.  We have a few restaurants that we sell to year around and one school system plus our one Saturday Farmers Market, and I really don't want any more work.  We are going to do some cutting for next year and it will be Farmers Market items.

To sell wholesale you have to be competitive with our competition but you don't have to be cheaper with fresh product, just very good quality.  You will have to have a good personal Liability policy of at least 2 million and 5 is better.  It is not that expensive but do a lot of shopping, there are prices all over the place.

Get to know the chef's and show them what you have and they will buy good clean fresh produce.  I make deliveries on Thursday's and I call on chef's on Tuesdays to drum up new business, other than that we use a regular order unless notified different.  Make sure they have your email address, I have chef's drop me emails at night after they close up at night. Had a chef for one of our accounts give me an order for lamb for next month for a special event dinner, quite large order by the way, and all I did was reply to his email to confirm the order that I could fill it for him.  I really like this system.

Phil from Iowa