market-farming - [Market-farming] Need Help with Sales

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "TxBeeFarmer" <txbeefarmer AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Need Help with Sales
  • Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 08:45:50 -0500

Hope some of you can share your wisdom and tricks of the trade with me.

I have a wonderful five acre garden and my 40' cooler is overflowing with fresh produce.

My problem is sales, or should I say lack of sales.  Oh sure, there's the Farmers' Market and a few people who want some things delivered, but I need real sales!

I've contacted every restaurant, cafe, grocery store, and health food store in my county as well as surrounding counties with no luck.

The problem with selling to restaurants and cafes seems to be the large food distributers - they deal in huge quantities, have a large selection, deliver in refrigerated trucks, and are very cheap.  None of the eateries around here gives a flip about being local or fresh or anything else.  They just want it cheap, delivered, and already cut up and bagged.

Grocery stores want me to have huge amounts of insurance and be preapproved by their corporate headquarters.  This is also the case with chain restaurants.

Obviously, I'm doing something very wrong here.  I just can't sell what I grow.

Sure could use a little help.

Thanks,

Mark
The Coldiron Farm (West Texas)