market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Jang and Earthway

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "stonecirclefarm tds.net" <stonecirclefarm AT tds.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Jang and Earthway
  • Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 09:06:55 -0500

I have a Jang--new in 2009--so do not have extensively experience with
it yet. So far, I really like it for carrots, using the X-24 roller.
I prefer to plant carrots in a band (to get higher yields per
foot...and also because I sell a lot of baby carrots that don't need
as much space per plant) so I make a double pass, running the second
line just next to the first line.

I still use my Earthway for peas and beans. I am known to swear at
the Earthway as it jams and pops but it still does a decent job. I am
going to try the cleaning recommendations and hope that it makes a
difference.

As others have noted, perhaps the biggest design flaw of the Jang is
the depth control. I have found it workable, however, especially when
beds are smooth and level. Because there are not markings on the
depth gauge (like the Earthway) I have to take notes in order to
remember where to set the depth gauge for next time. The wide wheels
(and weight) of the Jang do a better job than the Earthway of firming
the soil and ensuring good seed-soil contact.

-John