market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Jang and Earthway

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Lova Andriamanjay <lova.andriamanjay AT gmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Jang and Earthway
  • Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 11:26:30 -0400

I used my
I used my brand new Jang seeder for the first time at the beginning of
the week and I agree that a decent instruction manual would be
welcome. I had two main problems:

Like many of you setting the seeding depth is not really easy. For
even depth it really helps to have a level and somewhat firm seedbed.
At first we were seeding in recently worked soil and the bumps and
varying firmness made for quite variable depth. I haven't found the
perfect solution to this problem but for the moment we just go slowly
and look at the resulting depth for a few feet and adjust according to
the results.

Second, my biggest disapointment was with the pelleted seeds. I bought
the MJ roller for pelleted seeds but realized that pelleted seeds can
vary a bit. For example, various pelleted lettuce and carrots and
different pellets size. Most of the time I was not able to keep the
copper seed holder when using pelleted seeds. It would crush most of
them. I would like to hear what is your experience with pelleted seeds
and how you deal with them. On the bright side, it worked quite well
with small raw seeds like brassicas and onions.

I can't wait for the plants to emerge so we can see how good of a job it did.

Happy growing!

Lova Andriamanjay
Jardin chez Julie et Lova
Coteau-du-Lac, QC