market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Jang and Earthway

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Paul Ewing <paul AT shiningmoonfarm.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Jang and Earthway
  • Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 20:32:11 +0800

> I too purchased a Jang this year and had a similar problem with the
> peas. I tried using a G12 for peas with no luck. I could see that the
> peas were getting stuck in the holes so I tried to ream out the hole
> with a drill bit. It didn't help at all. I need a larger diameter
> hole. I haven't tried the bean roller yet.

I purchased a Jang seeder in January at the SE Regional Fruit and
Vegetable Conference after hearing good things about it here. I use it
mostly for smaller seeds. I really like it compared to the old
Earthway I have.

I talked the rep from Mechanical Transplanter about the different seed
plates and he said that peas were difficult and that what they
suggested was that you send a sample of your pea seeds and they would
custom make a roller for them. This seemed to be way convoluted and I
am not sure how you guarantee the seeds would be the same from year to
year. Getting a new roller made each year would be a pain.

Cheers,
Paul Ewing
Shining Moon Farm