market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Jang and Earthway

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Jang and Earthway
  • Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 18:15:34 -0400

On Apr 26, 2010, at 8:32 AM, Paul Ewing wrote:

I talked the rep from Mechanical Transplanter about the different seed
plates and he said that peas were difficult and that what they
suggested was that you send a sample of your pea seeds and they would
custom make a roller for them. This seemed to be way convoluted and I
am not sure how you guarantee the seeds would be the same from year to
year. Getting a new roller made each year would be a pain.

Not to mention if you're planting an early and a late variety each of snow, snap, and shell peas each year, plus trials! and they are definitely not always just the same size from year to year, even within the same variety.

Sounds like the Jang is considerably more trouble for peas than the Earthway, even if the Earthway does sometimes give some trouble with them. This year I seeded 8 varieties of peas with the Earthway; two varieties jammed up slightly but not so badly that I couldn't get them in the ground, the others gave no trouble at all.