market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Vetting Local Producers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Liz Pike <liz AT marketfarmshoptalk.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Vetting Local Producers
  • Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 11:18:06 -0400

whoa. I guess you're speaking about my input, which may not have added anything one can take into the field to actually put to use, but it also wasn't so out of line, or personal, considering the discussion that's taking place. And the word "discussion" is key. So far it's been enlightening and very civil compared to years' past when the debates raged hot and heavy, and had many members unsubscribing. I daresay few growers on this list, despite their growing preference, don't learn something from their polar opposite--either how or how not to do something. Everyone is welcome here, and as long as comments aren't downright chit-chat (snowstorm/bad weather/cabin fever chat excluded--sometimes we just can't help ourselves!) I don't see any problem with what has been posted so far.
Now, for your comment about "ask our growing questions and give our answers without expounding on the virtues of either", then what's the point of discussing anything? I am/was a sustainable grower. And many moons ago, was a conventional grower too. I've walked both sides of the fence. Sometimes all on the same farm, at the same time. This discussion started because a rough draft document needed more tolerance. I think this list is the epitome of tolerance! So please, don't hesitate to expound virtues--that can be done without trampling the other guy, and I've not seen that on this list in a very long time, and especially not recently.
jmho...

Liz