market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Vetting Local Producers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: BillOhio <billohio AT gmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Vetting Local Producers
  • Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 10:34:19 -0400

Bob: I agree totally. My property is about 400 feet wide and 1/3 mile long--12 acres total. I'm thinking I'm excluded from certifying as organic, if I wanted to do so, because I'm surrounded by neighbors farming conventionally. Maybe I could have a one-foot-wide strip down the middle that met the buffer requirements... :). In no way, IMO, should that prevent me from being able to grow healthful, delicous crops--and it doesn't! Some of the new suggested protocols are great for 500-acre fields, and perhaps are needed in those circumstances, but it's hard to see how they scale down to what we're doing on micro-scale plots. Anyway, I'm off to attend WIC training. Should be a good addition to our toolbox for selling to folks who can really use fresh produce.

Enjoy the weather y'all, the weekend here is forecast to be back in the 50s from today's 79.

Bill Huhman
central Ohio