market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Vetting Local Producers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rob Wallbridge" <rob AT songberry.ca>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Vetting Local Producers
  • Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 10:16:50 -0400

Hi Bill,

In most cases, a 25-30 buffer zone is all that’s required between the edge of a conventional crop, and the edge of an organic one (although it can vary). By my calculations, taking 60 feet off a 12 acre property 400 feet wide, results in a loss of under 2 acres, and if there are any fence rows or ditches, that’s not all productive land anyway.

I don’t know whether this makes any difference to you or not in your situation – probably not. But I don’t like to see inaccurate information spread around, because someone who sincerely wants to seek certification may believe they cannot, based on exaggerated statements like this.

Keepin’ it real (and local),

Rob

Rob Wallbridge

Songberry Organic Farm

24 Sixth Line, Bristol, QC J0X 1G0

email: rob AT songberry.ca

web: www.songberry.ca

facebook: become a fan of "Songberry Organic Farm"