market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] manures/GAP training

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: SaladG AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] manures/GAP training
  • Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 08:35:07 EST

We have been to a number of the GAP sessions and I really feel that we need to look at our  system of handling manure with caution.  We have always keep our livestock a long way from our vegetable operation and the manures that are created this current winter will be piled and mixed with other organic compostable materials of food waste, old moldy hay, and other hay messes created through the winter created from the waste around the hay feeders.  This pile is turned with a loader about once a month and then in the fall of this coming year after the ground freezes we spread it on our garden spots we use.  By this time I don't feel there is any danger because it has been composted for almost a year.  I wait to spread  compost after the ground freezes because the weight of the tractor and the spreader will really compact the ground and the wheel tracks will stay there all summer if you try it in the spring when the ground is soft.

I do hate to say it but I have seen produce in market's I wouldn't buy and eat on a bet.  All of us need to try to be as clean with our produce as possible, wash, cool, and keep it in the right temp range to make sure that it safe for everyone.

Phil from Iowa