market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] manures/GAP training

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: KAKerby AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] manures/GAP training
  • Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2010 19:28:38 EST

I agree, and I remember reading somewhere along the line that innoculating soils with beneficial fungi can also dramatically reduce bacterial and viral diseases later.  I'm thinking of doing that this year as a test to see if it really boosts production and reduces disease.  But that was research done in terms of plant health, not human health.

I think the "elephant in the living room" thing that they didn't want to discuss was the increasing incidence of liability suits against growers for contamination and foodborne illness, and the cost of investigating such E coli cases for the various state and federal agencies.  Yet it is often the consumers themselves which store fresh foods in ways that allow tiny, insignificant colonies of bacteria to bloom into killers.  But consumers outnumber growers by what, 1000 to 1?  If the consumer screams for "protection" from the grower, the grower gets the bill.

My 'take' on it was that by quantifying what we can and cannot control, and thereby minimizing risk where we can, we can later say "no, we did our part, you screwed up", if push came to shove.  Which sadly is what I think is really going on.  So, we're squarely back to consumer education as the real million dollar goal, and protecting ourselves from lawsuits in the meantime.
Kathryn Kerby
Frog Chorus Farm
Snohomish, Wa