market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] manures/GAP training

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] manures/GAP training
  • Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 12:43:07 -0500

On Mar 3, 2010, at 8:35 AM, saladg AT aol.com wrote:

 All of us need to try to be as clean with our produce as possible,

Now this one I do agree with. Wash your hands, use clean containers, don't put fresh manure on top of the lettuce, don't take to market the lettuce head with the deer manure on it, test your wash water and use only potable water for washing produce and containers, don't take your irrigation water right out of the feedlot.

Bear in mind I'm partly the one who set this discussion going by reminding people about potential risks of using fresh manure for hotbeds.

But attempting to produce sterile growing conditions for produce a) is massively unrealistic b) can do huge damage both ecologically and to small growers and c) may actually make the problem of pathogens in the food supply worse instead of better: both by making it more rather than less likely that pathogens as opposed to beneficials are in the fields, and by ruining small growers and leaving consumers stuck with the large scale food system that can spread disease from one field to consumers all over the country.