market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] broccoli raab

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Barking Cat Farm <barkingcatfarm AT mindspring.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] broccoli raab
  • Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2010 13:32:43 -0600

Hopefully Sue will have some good information for you. We have tried to grow
it here in Texas zone 8 but really haven't had good luck in terms of yield
yet. At this point, I have more experience eating it than growing it
successfully. You're right, the whole plant is cut, buds & all. The open
flowers are still edible btw. It bolts quickly for us which is our main
problem so far - determining the proper planting dates in both Spring & Fall;
a safe bet is planting it at the same time you do other brassicas of course.
Most of our problems are with trying to squeeze in later spring plantings.
You're north of us, so you may have more luck with it in Spring. Longer
maturity varieties are usually grown only in Fall. With what we have
harvested for our CSA we have either kept it cooled in a cooler or using our
cut flower background, kept it hydrated in a clean bucket of clean water
(bunched, stems down).

Kim
Barking Cat Farm
Texas zones 7 & 8 where we just got a foot of snow and it hasn't dried out
since Sept 09 and no crops can be planted because the fields remain
saturated....