market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Permanent beds - Paths

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: <sunnfarm AT netscape.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Permanent beds - Paths
  • Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2010 13:33:12 -0800

I tried permanent sod road and walk ways. I used both annual and perennial
rye grass. I did not like it in the long run because it created compaction
zones. Or after heavy rains I would get sunken tire tracks and foot print
divots that would become permanent water puddles that got progressively
worse. Despite mowing, the roadways would slowly accumulate perennial weeds
like thistle and dandelion and provide safe haven for overwintering flea,
cucumber beetles and aphids. I like firm bare soil in walk ways that can be
plowed up after the season... Bob.