market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Permanent beds - Paths

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: bcluton AT aol.com
  • To: gofish54 AT centurytel.net, market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Permanent beds - Paths
  • Date: Mon, 04 Jan 2010 20:24:50 -0500

I don't think you'd want to use annual ryegrass in the paths.(unless you're planning to establish the paths new each year)  Perennial Ryegrass would last much longer in permanent paths.  With that said I might avoid ryegrass in general.  Both can be awfully weedy and self-sow readily if  you miss a mowing or something.  Ryegrass also tends to have awfully high moisture and nutrient needs and may impact the growing beds a bit.  Fescues are a better bet for long term high traffic areas in my opinion.  The problem is that they establish slowly and don't put up with traffic the first year or better.  The reality is so long as you have a means to get in and mow your paths and cultivate the edges to keep them from encroaching then anything in the path is ultimately better than nothing.  We don't have a permanent path system (so you may disregard anything I've said - alot of this is gleaned from neighbors establishing laneways, etc.)  We do however establish winter rye and/or oats on most all of our tire paths for long and late season crops.  It's definitely helped protect the soil and makes for much cleaner harvest particularly on late brassicas and such that are usually coming off in the snow and mud.  I think a few equipment tweaks on our end and we'd move towards a permanent bed system for some crops.

Good luck.

Brian