market-farming - [Market-farming] Beds - Plastic - Experiences?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: John Ferree <john AT seldomseenfarm.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Beds - Plastic - Experiences?
  • Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2010 05:20:10 -0500

While there's a bed thread. . . I'll jump in with something related.

We got killed this past spring with too much water, I'm sure nothing compared to the NE, but enough to impact growth and yield.  I am convinced that short of tiling we need to start raising beds for most crops.  That said, we are also looking into a plastic layer.  I wondered what systems other (organic - or roundup free) growers have found workable with plastic.  I'm also concerned with the impact on our weed load.  Last year we did ~7 acres, all bare soil.  Something has to give. . . and we've only used plastic for the GH crops.

Overall, what are your experiences on plastic?
How has it impacted your labor and weed load over time?
Is it possible to run a nearly weed free system given all those plastic edges?

Also, since we are raising beds for most everything - Single pass bed shaper - layer or 2 passes with a shaper and then flat bed layer?

Thanks,
John

--
Seldom Seen Farm