market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Early Blight in Tomatoes and grafting tomatoes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Marlin Burkholder" <glenecofarm AT planetcomm.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Early Blight in Tomatoes and grafting tomatoes
  • Date: Sun, 10 May 2009 21:54:25 -0400

Has anyone tried JSS's JTO-99197 tomato? The first I have seen advertised as resistent to early blight. I have used and liked in the past Red Sun but they have been the first to succomb to early blight, even before most of my heirloon varieties. Now that the seed supply for Red Sun seems to have dried up, I decided to order the JTO strain and attempt to graft some of my remaining Red Sun onto JTO rootstock. I had some illness the week the plants were getting big enough to graft and before I could get to it the stems had gotten too thick to accept my grafting clips.

Now I have a bunch of JTOs in addition to Red Suns that I have just planted out. Johnneys has good things to say about the size and marketability of the fruit but average about the flavor. I guess I am going to find out how the two will compare for flavor and blight resistence.

Oh I did have a partial success later on with grafting some heirloom varieties onto Beaufort rootstock. One flat has less than 25% takes and the other has about 40-50% takes. I saved the rootstocks from my scion plants and they are growing out some weak sideshoots. Also the Beaufort rootstocks on the failed grafts are sending up shoots so I am thinking of collecting some of the suckers soon to come and any other scion material I can recover and play around a little more with grafting onto the remaining Beaufort stocks just to practice the technique a little more.

I hope to be able to write up what I learn on my blog www.gleneco.blogspot.com eventually.

Marlin Burkholder
Virginia