market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] planting out tomatoes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: BillOhio <billohio AT gmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] planting out tomatoes
  • Date: Fri, 8 May 2009 22:21:32 -0400

I'd probably bury 2 1/2 feet in a shallow trench. Layout gets sorta iffy though when plants are that tall. I've had my most profitable tomato sales with plants bought in the distressed corner of nurseries in late June for next to nothing, set out around July 1st. When they start coming on in mid-September, many times everybody else's have turned up their toes, and the market jumps on ours like bees on a bowl of honey all the way through October. And then other times we get an early freeze and it's all for naught. Gardening is such fun!

Bill Huhman
central Ohio, where we're gonna try to sell about 7 bushels of lettuce tomorrow at the market, grown from plugs and growing amazingly fast in this rainy weather.