market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] planting out tomatoes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: BillOhio <billohio AT gmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] planting out tomatoes
  • Date: Fri, 8 May 2009 10:56:40 -0400

Roni,
Sometimes when they are planted deep, especially in saturated conditions, the roots don't get oxygen and the rootball can die. The plant growth stops until new roots develop along the stem. Planting them sideways in trenches is also easier and faster. I lay really leggy plants down in a double-row herringbone pattern with drip tape down the middle and the tops to the outside.
Bill Huhman