market-farming - [Market-farming] blown over hoophouse

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Curtis Millsap <cmillsap1 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] blown over hoophouse
  • Date: Sun, 10 May 2009 19:51:15 -0700 (PDT)

We got that BIG wind storm Friday here in Springfield MO, with sustained (30 minutes to an hour) of 85mph winds. I have two questions for the group.

First, our 20x96 hoophouse is mangled on the ground, and before I rebuild, I'm wondering if there is any way to build a hoophouse to take 80mph winds, or if this is just what happens in freak weather.  Does anyone have a high tunnel that  has survived this kind of wind, and if so, any construction advice.

Second, many of the crops have tattered leaves, and many are bent over (like broccoli, cabbage, etc.).  What do I need to do for these plants to keep them healthy, and lose as little production as possible?

Thanks in advance for any knowledge you all can share.
Curtis

Curtis and Sarah Millsap
Millsap Farm
Springfield MO