market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] planting out tomatoes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Garth & Kim Travis <gartht AT txcyber.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] planting out tomatoes
  • Date: Fri, 08 May 2009 12:46:03 -0500

Greetings,
Option #3, plant them horizontally, with only the top few inches sticking out, normally, at a 3' plant, I would only leave 2' sticking out. You will get much more roots and production from your tomatoes. This is the tomatomaniacs way of doing it, works really well. I have about 400 tomatoes in the ground, should start harvest in a few weeks. This year especially, I am so glad I use not till, permanent beds for my tomatoes and melons. Every time it almost dries out, it rains again. Bright Blessings,
Kim

breck wrote:
Roni,
Read Bill's response; he is right-on. Several years ago I tried using a post
hole digger and setting them deeply; terrible results. I was basically
digging a little pond. It works much better to plant them shallowly where
the stems can grow roots in the friable soil.