market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Profitable enough?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: John Ferree <john AT seldomseenfarm.com>
  • To: lists AT rhomestead.com, Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Profitable enough?
  • Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 20:39:05 -0400

heheh. i agree. i'm in year 5 and things are still lean, but that is
my choice. what comes first equipment/greenhouse lust or personal
savings. . . ?

i would suggest choosing an apprenticeship/farm well. pick one that
compensates you for your time, or fits very well what you want to do.
mainly a farm with a high rate of pay is probably stable and making it.
if you have time work at multiple farms. i agree that the urban model
has some benefits. . . proximity to market being chief among them. one
down side, depending on your location - zoning regs (greenhouses, wells,
farm structures, etc). but just remember in starting a farm, you have
to live in the system you build--so work with your personality. easily
said, but $/marketing tend to pull a person in unexpected directions.
also, spare no detail from your business plan if you're going in it full
time. then you'll have something to broil over in the winter when
nothing goes according to plan : ). Seriously, any B. plan is far from
hard and fast, i got through the first few years intuitively. looking
back i wish there had been some over arching scheme. . . that wasn't
just in my head. when to say when (with equipment lust and greenhouses).

oh yeah. . . have a backup winter job if things don't go well. i've
worked in lots of restaurants, and worked up jobs with clients for the
winter in the past. a crappy job you never want to do again is
perfect. it's much more sweet when you have a season when it isn't
necessary, and provides motivation to make it work.

john
danville, in