market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] website development

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Brigette Leach <avalonfarmshomegrown AT earthlink.net>
  • To: Mr Lucky <steve AT mrlucky.com>, Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] website development
  • Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2008 13:00:30 -0500

Thanks, Steve. And everyone else who has offered to share their experience and expertise. I've been checking out all of the recommendation and thanks to Steve's tip, will now check the archives.

You make a very good point about deciding what type of tasks we do ourselves and what is more productive/effective if someone else does the work.

Brigette Leach
Avalon Farms Homegrown
Share of the Farm
www.avalonfarmshomegrown.com

Mr Lucky wrote:

I second the rec for http://www.smallfarmcentral.com

I used to work as a web designer and I think if it's something that interests you, you might want to learn Dreamweaver. If it doesn't seem like fun, hire it out. I used to use Quickbooks until it dawned on me I hated it and hired a bookeeper for a few hours a month. She has paid for herself by correcting my mistakes and finding money owed me. If I wanted a great site, I'd hire out.

I think you have to ask yourself, do I want to be a better web designer (or accountant) or a be bettter grower? Why waste your time doing an average job at something that doesn't interest you? And my belief is you can't affford to have a crappy website. I think it's better not to have one at all.

Steve

P.s. We had a lot of web design talk a few years ago. I bet the archives are loaded with opnions and tips.

Rancho Gordo
New World Specialty Food
www.ranchogordo.com