market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] website development

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: John Ferree <john AT seldomseenfarm.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] website development
  • Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2008 21:10:31 -0500

yeah, i've used dreamweaver most recently. 'back in the day' you used
to code html by hand. . . not so much any more. if i'm doing a wyswyg.
. . i'd just as soon do it through a CMS. at leat then it takes 4x as
long with my hughes.net connection. (sat connections are LAGGED-ftp
uploads are very slow as well) ideally, if you're setting up a site. .
. work out something that works for you, not against you. you can take
over the webbed world if you like, but who has the time?

i would avoid MS products if possible. the programming is good. . . but
you end up getting 'hooked' on a brand. if you stick with open source
products. . . all the better. (open source = open pollinated varities.
google GNU) openoffice.org has a html designer too. but you can always
suck it up and get a html book and learn it from scratch. my biggest
problem with wyswyg editors. . . you don't have the basis to make
changes, aka it isn't transparent. when you run into some problem, it's
difficult to reverse engineer it. . . cuz you didn't write the code.
dunno. MS or not. whatever works for you.

i'm still partial to CMS's. . . they just have a clean look that is hard
to get with HTML tables (without cross-referencing all the web browsers
out there). if you can start hacking php there's not much to stop you
w/ templates. (i can't, but there is a 1/8th read book on my shelf
about doing it)

----
totally different subject. . . .

old hat farmers out there. . . how do you get through auctions without
getting an ulcer? (financial stability?!) i seem to end up at auctions
ebay, local, etc very tense and aggitated, even when i know i'm paying
less than retail or getting a deal. something about throwing money
around the flick of your hand? love it. hate it.

john