market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Seedling growth vs temps

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: tonitime AT juno.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Seedling growth vs temps
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 14:01:17 -0500

Carla, are you also giving your plants plenty of air movement for stem
strengthening? I did experiment a bit in the past, and saw a real
difference with those that had either an oscillating fan blowing on them
(from a tender age) - or raked across the plant tops serveral times
daily, to those w/o some dramatic air movement. I did that after reading
an article that had Japanese greenhouse tomatoe workers with feathers
bundles teasing their plants! I forget the name of that attribute
tomatoes have - anyone fill me in?
That's just a thought if "stretching" is similar to "spindly"!
Toni

Carla said:
In my greenhouse at least, if the temps get too high I start seeing a lot
of stretching with my plants.