market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] CNG News

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Andrew R. King" <andrew.king2 AT worldnet.att.net>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] CNG News
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2008 13:15:24 -0500

Opposition to the USDA's proposed "naturally-raised" label is rising. (See action alerts from OCA and SAC below.) Since the new term encroaches on our name, we should all feel extra motivation to voice our opposition.

To make things as easy as possible, I've drafted a short letter below for you to copy or modify as you wish (thanks to OCA for providing the initial draft of this letter). The deadline to post comments is coming soon - Monday, January 28th. Check out the action alerts below from Organic Consumers Association and Sustainable Agriculture Coalition for more background.

We can't let them take away these words, too - please write today! - Alice

************************************

There are three ways to submit your comments.

1. The AMS web site at http://www.regulations.gov/ (Insert “naturally raised” in the search box, hit "go", then you'll see it's the first item listed. Click "send a comment or submission").

2. The Mail (but it must be *received* by 1/28/08)

Naturally Raised Marketing Claim

Room 2607–S, AMS, USDA,

1400 Independence Avenue, SW

Washington, DC 20250–0254

3. By Fax (202) 720–1112.

Important - All Comments Must Reference “Docket No. LS-07-16”

Here's the letter for you to copy or modify as you wish. Please send it today!

Dear Mr. O'Connor:

I do not support the USDA proposal for a "naturally-raised" label standard [Docket No. AMS-LS-07-0131; LS-07-16]. As a farmer and a consumer, I expect such a product to be from an animal raised in a natural environment, having free access to pasture and grazing and not confined in a CAFO type setting.

Any "naturally-raised" standard should certainly not allow for use of antibiotics and growth hormones, of course. But if the new standard means little more than that, it would be more appropriate to label the product as "raised without antibiotics or supplemental growth hormones", simply put. Should the farmer wish to convey that the animal was "never fed mammalian or avian by-products", those words would do the trick.

But all these elements combined still aren't enough to define "naturally raised". If a product is labeled "naturally raised", I expect it to be raised in a natural environment. So while this proposal is intended to provide clarity to consumers, it does the exact opposite. Should USDA’s draft proposal for this “naturally raised” claim proceed, consumer confidence in all USDA verified or certified labels would no doubt decline.

Please go back to the drawing board to consider more transparent labels that clearly and accurately convey the raising practices of producers seeking to promote their products.

Sincerely,

[your name, your farm name, etc.]