market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Seedling growth vs temps

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "cjmaness AT juno.com" <cjmaness AT juno.com>
  • To: lists AT rhomestead.com, market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Seedling growth vs temps
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 16:50:45 GMT

In my greenhouse at least, if the temps get too high I start seeing a lot of
stretching with my plants. It's a fine line. They do grow faster warmer,
which is nice, but I want a nice sturdy transplant in the field.
With tomatoes, I believe it is the fluctuation between day and night time
temps. If I remember my hort. classes correctly, I think it's like 10 degrees
difference is considered optimum? Ideally tomatoes would grow at 65 during
the day, and 55 at night. My little homemade greenhouse can't do that. It's
always too hot during the day, but we can manage night time temps. fairly
well. And, I have cool spots and hot spots so I'm always moving things
around. Hot spots to speed up germination and then moving to the cooler end
for growth.
Once tomatoes are in the field, the cool weather can cause cat facing, and
reduces the production and viability of pollen. Some varieties seem to handle
all of that better than others, but I'm still at the trying to figure it all
stage myself!
Carla, zone 7 Oklahoma
Click for an accredited Life Experience Degree in 5 days, make up to $150k.
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2121/fc/Ioyw6i3l8Ch9ijMS6Ed6Kpz7zPKzbjFRoDROP8J9RHfsi0Uv9BmdTS/