market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Co-Ops

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Fellenz <fellenz AT fltg.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Co-Ops
  • Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 11:44:27 -0500

Richard Stewart wrote:
B3AB99BE-93A5-4872-A60C-51B7DB8029B6 AT zoomtown.com" type="cite">Andy...

Ok, I understand the issues with that and what you are describing.

I guess what I was shooting for was a modified CSA, where no one had to buy shares and could order as needed once a week and decrease the carbon footprint.

I don't want to sell other people's products, just mine.

Let me try to describe it a bit more.

Right now my goal is to do a small scale test this year in my Aunt's building in downtown Cincinnati.  She's a medical illustrator and her building is fairly high end as far as tenants go.  In 2008 I'll have two market days and this would be added to this schedule.

She is the "head" of the group that will be purchasing produce.

She knows has 12 condos lined up.  12 members. A couple singles, a couple 3 to 5 person families, and the rest are all couples.  All have completely different lifestyles.  All want to buy local some are green conscious and others are not.

So, my aunt, she is the "head" of the group.  There would be 13 possible participants be weekly order.  This group receives 2 totes per participant.  The totes cost 10.00 ea and are 7/8 bu.  Each is numbered, in pairs 1 thru 13.  A 20.00 deposit is received for the totes from the participants.

In spring the first seasonal harvest is ready and on the following Sunday, a list goes out via email to the "head" of the group of participants.  The email says these X number of items are available for X number of dollars for X number of quantity.  The head distributes the email either by electronic or paper.  The participants reply with their orders to the head who then places a single order.  That order is filled the following day fresh and taken to a drop off site at the back of the building a check or cash is exchanged. The next delivery will also have 13 containers in addition to the money.  Repeat.

Now, this concept may have been repeated by someone or not.  I do not know.  I am familiar with the co-ops you described, ordering from a central location that acted as an umbrella for several distribution networks.

This would be a sole supplier/grower, just as in a single source CSA.

The goal is to tackle several things.

1) More customer control over what they purchase (both in quantities and type of food), which makes for a happier consumer.
2) No money changing hands prior to receipt of goods (with the possible exception of a deposit).
3) No vacation losses for the customer.
4) Smaller carbon footprint depending on how the "head" person has organized the CSA, especially if its a high density condo or apartment complex.
5) More efficient than a FM because your time is spent picking and hauling and not selling.  In theory at least.

Just some ideas I was kicking around.  I enjoy FMs in part because it gives them an opportunity to TRULY know the farmer as well as your customers.  I am simply looking for something in addition too my schedule for next year.

I hope that better illustrates what I want to do.  I have about 12 ideas floating around in my hand including the development of 30+ acre hole in the ground and I am trying to bounce some of the smaller ideas off people while I wait for the property to be returned to something useable by the gravel company that out the mineral deposits.

Thank you for your time so far.  I really appreciate it.

Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio

An Ohio Century Farm Est. 1848

(513) 967-1106

Richard,
B3AB99BE-93A5-4872-A60C-51B7DB8029B6 AT zoomtown.com" type="cite">

>From a consumer perspective, what you are outlining sounds great.  From a selling perspective, unless you can get a sufficient premium to cover the additional administrative and handling costs associated with each order, I don't see how you will be able to earn a reasonable return.  Additionally, if you only have 13 boxes on the truck for each delivery, delivery costs will be very high.  I used to rationalize this type of delivery by saying that, "I'd probably be going that way anyway", but even if you are going that way, you should make sure that your selling price covers your delivery expense.
This idea is one that screams for an effective software solution to speed ordering as well as order fulfillment.  Here is a company in Canada which seems to be offering a service close to what you are describing:  http://www.greenearthorganics.com/default.asp .  If you can get sufficient scale to drive down your distribution expense/order, selling customized boxes could work real well.

Andy
www.FellenzFamilyFarm.com