market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Market-farming Digest, Vol 58, Issue 11

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: sora AT coldreams.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Market-farming Digest, Vol 58, Issue 11
  • Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 14:48:49 -0800 (PST)

> Well, I feel dumb. :)
>
> I guess I have no clue what a Co-Op is.
>
> So let me try to define this then.
>
> An individual acts as the go between. That person heads the "co-
> op" (for lack of a better term right now). THis person is the
> contact between a small group of people and the farmer(s).
>
> Its not a CSA but it involves a group of people that purchase produce
> as a group. Each week they are sent a list of available foods/items/
> goods. They then choose product and quantity and the goods arrive
> for them to distribute among members. No money is put down with the
> possible exception of a membership or a deposit for totes.
>
>No need to feel dumb! There are as many models out there for what we
call survival as there are farmers. My method is kind of a hybrid. I do
the Farmers Market once a week with mostly breads, baked goods,
preserves,plants, flowers and value added stuff plus whatever surplus I
have from the CSA. I also broker veggies and fruits from other organic
farmers. So, my CSA subscribers, like a regular CSA, do not get choice,
but a 10-12 lb bag of wide gourmet quality variety. What I don't grow, I
buy in bulk and split it out among my people. I do a newsletter with
credits to all farmers and a bit of their story. I also will let my CSA
know if there is going to be large bulk available for preserving and will
take orders for that. I'm also part of a CoOp buying club for my dry
goods and make that available to my CSAs. I find my CSA to be far from
stressful, but the joy of the deal. My folk have been with me for years,
I watch the kids grow on my food. I hope to expand on it and eventually
be able to stop the Market, which is much more difficult due to weather,
hauling, gas, time etc etc...
Sora in Paradise Valley 7in snow last nite

  • Re: [Market-farming] Market-farming Digest, Vol 58, Issue 11, sora, 11/27/2007