market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] High Value CRops was CSA start-up

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Fellenz <fellenz AT fltg.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] High Value CRops was CSA start-up
  • Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 13:38:39 -0500

Easy and lucrative are often mutually exclusive. If it was easy everyone would do it. So easy & lucrative usually only works for a few years until others figure out how to grow the fruit or vegetable and prices start to come down.
What works for me in terms of items which offer a reasonable return and bring people to the farm stand or help in membership retention with the CSA are:

Sungold cherry tomatoes
Strawberries
Raspberries

Andy
www.FellenzFamilyFarm.com

Allan Balliett wrote:
Alison (and everyone)

I'd like to hear more about "high value crops." You mentioned mesclun, which works for us, and lettuce, which most definitely doesn't. (Even though our heads are heirloom and beautiful)

What else do you find works in your area?

For us, at the local market, green beans and strawberries made the season.

I'd like to hear about things that are 'easier' and more lucrative!

-Allan