market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Co-Ops

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "maury sheets" <maurysheets AT verizon.net>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Co-Ops
  • Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 16:19:46 -0500

Richard,

Do you want to start and run a co-op or just sell to one. If you are going
to run one, it will be a full time job.
I sell direct wholesale to several in the Philadelphia area, but I could not
tell you how to run one. Here a links to a few in Philly to see how they
operate:

www.weaversway.coop
www.mariposa.coop
www.swarthmore.coop

I deliver to all the above and they make very good customers. I am familiar
with Cincinnati and it should have several co-ops and if it doesn't, it
could support them very well if run correctly. Hope this helps.

Maury Sheets

Woodland Produce

Sustainably producing greens and herbs in the Northeast.

I have been kicking around the idea of a co-ops. I have several
ideas on how I would like to run one (or supply one) if I got
started, but I was curious if anyone had some general knowledge or
ideas they would like to share. I am lucky enough to have a farm 20
minutes from about 1.5 million people and would like to develop some
co-op concepts around hi-density living areas, like downtown condos
and the like.

I have the hauling/delivery ability and the equipment but not the
organization or the experience with such an operation (even if its a
more traditional co-op) and I'd like to hear other people's ideas.
I'd be more than happy to go into detail about what I'd like to do,
but that might not match reality, so I was hoping to gleam some
information from some of you before I really opened my mouth.

I guess this could be considered a parallel to the current CSA thread.

Thank you!

Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio