market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] CSA start-up

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Krystle Chung" <learning AT selfmadefarmer.com>
  • To: frshstrt AT baldwin-telecom.net, "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] CSA start-up
  • Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 09:54:47 -0700

Lu,

Here are a few numbers that I've gathered from having worked on and
visited a few CSA farms:

Southern NM - 1.5 acres, 34 week distribution, average 5lbs per full
share, approx. $500 per full share. Labor is the limiting factor.

Southern CO - ? acres, 20 week distribution, ? lbs per full share,
includes meat and baked goods (since veggies are difficult to grow at
a high elevation), approx. $1000 per full share. Being near a very
wealthy ski resort area helps.

Ohio - ? acres, 20 week distribution, ? lbs per full share, approx.
$600 per full share. Read about this one in the NY Times.

Hope this helps!

-Krystle

About me - http://www.SelfmadeFarmer.com
Notes/research - http://www.SelfmadeFarmer.wordpress.com