market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] CSA start-up

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Fellenz <fellenz AT fltg.net>
  • To: frshstrt AT baldwin-telecom.net, Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] CSA start-up
  • Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2007 20:54:27 -0500

I'm in Central NY, zone 5-6, and have two small CSAs. One with ~50 members and the second with ~60 members. The first offers 15, 23 and 30 week season options, the second has a 24 week season. I offer two share sizes, the small has 6-8 items/week and the large 8-12 items. I shoot for a season average of 7+ and 11 items/week. The shares include both fruit, mainly berries, melons and apples, and vegetables. Herbs are offered most weeks on a "take what you can use" basis. More information on the CSAs can be found on my website, www.FellenzFamilyFarm.com or on LocalHarvest.org .
I hope that you have several years of market farming experience under your belt as a CSA is more of a high-wire act than selling at farmers markets or from a farm stand.

The other thing to consider is whether you can make any money with a small CSA. The number and variety of crops grown is usually more than for farmers markets and if you only have a few shares, it is difficult to cover your costs for growing a lot of different items.
Andy

frshstrt AT baldwin-telecom.net wrote:
Hi Everyone, I'm toying with the thought of starting a small CSA. For those of you who do this- I need to know how many weeks, how much cost per share and about how much per week in that share. Any hints are helpful. Thanks, Lu in Wisconsin