market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] quality produce in California?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "sals" <sals3 AT cox.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] quality produce in California?
  • Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 17:30:31 -0700

our farmers market in Santa Barbara is for farmers that sell their own produce. I also am a organic farmer . I raise lemons, cherimoyas, white and black sapote,passionfruit,macadmia nuts avocado,banana, mangoes, bananas mac nuts etc. u get the idea. I also was raised on organic food years ago growing up in Iowa. love that sweetcorn that is before GMOs. we only got food from organic coops in those days . I could never raise the stuff I raise in Ca. back home in Iowa. I can raise low chilled apples,peaches,nectarines etc and high chill subtropical. I have good land ..its has been organic for over 25 years and last 6 years I have not had. to add any off farm imputes I would say the land is now close to in balance and I like it. I just water and this buy local is good idea but I need customers back east so take it easy on us in Ca. we have subtropicals u may not raise back east. if you like bananas, pineapples,mangoes, lemons etc. and coffee from kona, well u get the idea. I think the gas it takes to get good food to good people is the best thing gas can do for man. sorry I think shipping good food to folks is ok. fly it in I don't care fresh is best you are right about that but I feel its a good use for oil. feeding the people
good food is important to some folks. that is way it is called market farming if you have the market so you can farm. . just MHO. my trees are the lungs of the earth in mine minds eye and I think the water it takes to make them grow is good use of natural resources. I like good organic food where ever it comes from and I counts my self lucky to get it. am also lucky and glad to be able to ship it. thanks

Original Message ----- From: "Willie McKemie" <mf AT austinfarm.org>