market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] quality produce in California?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Robert Schuler <sunnfarm AT verizon.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] quality produce in California?
  • Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 18:22:15 -0500 (CDT)

From: Steven Moize <Shady_Grove_Farm AT msn.com>
Date: 2007/09/17 Mon PM 06:00:13 CDT
To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>

Here in NC we have the same problem.  Our "Nationally known, locally grown
market" is often times full of wholesale produce.  When items show up at
market way too early in the season or the produce is way too uniform in
appearance it is obvious to us real farmers where it came from, yet the
consumers are unaware that is the same old trucked in grocery store fare...
Our local farmers markets keep touting that they are local, growers only
markets.  Yet they don't enforce those very rules, especially with the "in
crowd" who are usually the real violators.

Here in NJ there is a $50000 fine if you are caught selling out of state
produce with a NJ label. One time I entered a packing house early in the
season and saw a trailer load of empty Arkansas tomato boxes along side a
trailer load of full NJ tomato boxes. The packer converted $10 Ak. tomatoes
into $40 "Jersey Fresh" tomatoes... Bob.