market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] quality produce in California?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Robert Schuler <sunnfarm AT verizon.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] quality produce in California?
  • Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 14:33:19 -0500 (CDT)

When I landed in the central valley of California the first thing I did like
any good dirt farmer was to kick around the soil to see what kind of dirt
they have. California has some of the best dirt around so I expected to find
some tasty vegetables. I stopped into a well stocked farm market in September
surrounded by thousands of acres of almond groves only to find the worst
quality vegetables I ever saw outside of a supermarket. I asked where the
vegetables were grown and they said Mexico!. California's climate seems well
suited for growing fruits and vegetables with great structural integrity but
no flavor. That is probably why they are so good at exporting produce to the
east coast. I think our humid biologically active fungi infested east coast
climate is best suited to producing vegetables with great taste but poor
shipping qualities.
Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ.