market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] quality produce in California?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: BillOhio <billohio AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] quality produce in California?
  • Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 13:43:14 -0400

We've been noticing locally, at some farmers' markets, farm markets and even roadside pickup trucks, that some vendors are moving towards the commercial varieties, especially tomatoes, which are beautiful, long-keeping, tasteless produce. Linda and I affectionately call them plastic tomatoes, and they make our assorted heirloom and "old-fashioned" produce easy to sell once we let folks sample the difference warts and all (on the tomatoes, not me--some things are hopeless).

We set out 100 Japanese eggplants late this year, mostly because I just didn't get them in the ground earlier. They're becoming a real hit at the market. Now if the frost will hold off a bit longer...

Bill Huhman
Central Ohio