market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] cucumbers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <aballiett AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] cucumbers
  • Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2006 08:23:49 -0500

Lucy - What is your source for these nematodes? -Allan

We tried beneficial nematodes this fall for control of grubs including Japanese beetles, termites, flea, wire worms and root worms (aka cuke beetles). I do not know if the nematodes will work on the cuke beetles and won't until next spring/summer but I have noticed a huge decrease in the grub population in the soil which gives me hope that the critters are going after the cuke beetle larva as well. These should work to control about any pest that spends part of its' life in the soil.

Lucy Goodman
<http://boulerbelt.blogspot.com>http://boulerbelt.blogspot.com

Shawnee Flowerfarmer wrote:

I would like to hear of any organic cucumber beetle control that other growers have tried. (I think that bats wouldn't help since they are nocturnal when the beetles aren't active) I know of people using the kaolin clay sprays-but those get expensive too.

Floating row covers help somewhat but make harvesting a hassle. The Cornell organic website describes a study that used certain cucurbit crops as traps outside the field of plants that were to be cropped. The idea is that some cucurbits are more quickly attractive to the beetle than others and that with careful timing and handling, you can eliminate the beetle from their favorite plant while protecting your crop.
Shawnee, zone 5