market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] cucumbers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Joyce Paski <elderberrywine4u AT yahoo.com>
  • To: farmersue AT hughes.net, Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] cucumbers
  • Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 09:56:27 -0800 (PST)

Sue Wells <farmersue AT hughes.net> wrote:
 I need cucumbers that will sell well, as well as me using the same ones for pickling.
Hi, Sue:

I like to grow heirlooms, too, and this year the Australian Lemon Cucumbers were a HUGE hit for me.  I actually had a line at my stand on one market day just for these cucumbers.  My garden year was absolutely brutal (our entire County was declared a disaster area due to drought) and these cukes were definitely a bright spot for me.  They come on late in the season and do they produce!  I had no problem with pests or blights with them.  The deer didn't even bother them.  I am inclined to think they did so well because they produce later in the season.  They are great for eating fresh and also make really good pickle slices.  I had only one complaint from an older woman who said she didn't care for them because she thought they were seedy.  The Riesentraube tomatoes didn't grow for me at all here in Zone 3, but other heirlooms like Stupice, Black Plum, Amish Paste, and Arkansas Traveler grew well despite the drought.  Unfortunately, we have smart deer here and they really like heirloom tomatoes.  My garden design is really getting tweaked this winter.