market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] cucumbers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Christine & Marlin" <glenecofarm AT planetcomm.net>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] cucumbers
  • Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2006 22:33:34 -0500

Roy Brubaker of Mifflintown, PA told the story of how a newspaper article came out about his bat houses and the bats at his farm.  Upon reading the article, a neighbor lady phoned Roy and complained, “I don’t like to have bats around.”

Roy asked her, “Have you seen mosquitoes around recently?”  “Have you been bothered with cucumber beetles?”

After the lady stopped and thought about answering those questions with, “No” she seemed to calm down.  Roy’s land borders a creek/river and those pests had been a problem.

We have used PVC pipe bent in small hoops and covered with row cover over eggplants.  These hoops are less than 36” high in the center.

Christine Burkholder