market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] cucumbers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Shawnee Flowerfarmer" <farmingflowers AT hotmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] cucumbers
  • Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2006 20:58:04 -0600

I would like to hear of any organic cucumber beetle control that other growers have tried.  (I  think that bats wouldn't help since they are nocturnal when the beetles aren't active)  I know of people using the kaolin clay sprays-but those get expensive too.

Floating row covers help somewhat but make harvesting a hassle.  The Cornell organic website describes a study that used certain cucurbit crops as traps outside the field of plants that were to be cropped.  The idea is that some cucurbits are more quickly attractive to the beetle than others and that with careful timing and handling, you can eliminate the beetle from their favorite plant while protecting your crop.

Shawnee, zone 5