market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] cucumbers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "cjmaness AT juno.com" <cjmaness AT juno.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] cucumbers
  • Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2006 20:58:51 GMT

Boy, do we have cucumber beetles! And, squash bugs, and stink bugs,
and blister beetles, and asparagus beetles, and harlequin bugs, and
deer who just wiped out my fall lettuce crop and birds we eat every
transplant we put out, and who am I leaving out?
We are not organic. We spray. We try to spray as little as possible
but we have to spray. It would be nice to get to the point where we
didn't have to, but for right now, and to have anything marketable we
do.
Cucumber pricing: some of the other vendors charge $1.00 for 4 cukes,
slicers which are put into a pint basket. No one at our market sells
by the pound. The dept.of Ag.is pretty strict about the scales being
certified and all that, so no one messes with it. We put our pickling
cukes in a quart basket filled level and charge $2.00. Tomatoes are
$3.00 for a quart basket. Some of the other vendors charge $3.50 for
their tomatoes, but most of us charge $3.00. Every market is
different though. One thing we don't do is lower our prices. Not
ever. If something is not selling we will move it around on the table
or put it in a smaller container or something, but we don't lower
prices. We may go up on prices throughout our season, but never lower.