market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] cucumbers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wiediger, Alison" <alison.wiediger AT hart.kyschools.us>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] cucumbers
  • Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 10:58:47 -0600

We sell a lot of slicing cukes because we have them early in the high tunnels and customers get used to buying them from us.  Our favorite for the HT was Jazzer, no longer available.  Diva just is not productive enough for us.  Bush Champion is a great producer in the HT.  Outside, we have been using General Lee, which we like, but are looking for at least one more slicer to try.  For something unique, try Edmonson, a white pickler with a great taste and texture – even when large.  And, the cucumber beetles don’t like it as well and it has good disease resistance.  It has quite a following in our customer base.  We plant cucumbers about every 4-5 weeks – just like our summer squash – to keep the quality up.

Alison Wiediger, Au Naturel Farm