market-farming - [Market-farming] Keeping greens cool

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Shelly Elliott" <shelly AT idlethyme.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Keeping greens cool
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2006 19:10:48 -0600

Argh! I am taking a break from laying plastic mulch by hand in 25mph winds and I remembered that I needed to pick ya'lls brains for some market expertise. I have been having problems with burning my greens with my ice packs in the cooler. Any bags that touch the ice packs have black slimy lettuce in the bottom and cannot be sold. What is a good solution for this? We have had extremely hot weather this season and ice will be a must. Thanks in advance for your advice. Going back to the dirt in my eye, cactus in my knee, fun job of hand laying plastic mulch (250' so far). Remind me again of why I don't want a tractor?????
Shelly Elliott
Idle Thyme Farm
Carpenter, WY
www.IdleThymeFarms.com