market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Worm damage

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: sora AT coldreams.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Worm damage
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2006 15:14:50 -0700 (PDT)

> Now I've heard it all!! You're telling me that earth worms ate your
> onions?
> Come on....! :) This just can't be true. All my life I've heard earth
> worms are good and only enriched the soil and wouldn't harm any living
> plant. How can I learn more about this? Do you have some sort of monster
> worms? I have heard of some that get two or three feet long!!
>
>Actually try doing a google search on the subject of earthworm damage. A
friend told me a couple of years ago that research had found that
earthworms were doing so much damage to the East coast forests that baby
seedling trees were unable to germinate. I did a search and found some
astonishing papers on the subject. The most damage started in areas near
favorite fishing spots where anglers had released their extra worms.
They were mostly an invasive alien species and took over. There were
some pretty incredible photos. It's one way to thin your forest without
a chainsaw.....