market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] was Worm damage now Onions damage

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Shelly Elliott" <shelly AT idlethyme.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] was Worm damage now Onions damage
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2006 19:17:03 -0600

Okay, the thing that is eating my onions is not earthworms, not unless there has been a radiation leak somewhere nearby and I have not heard about it! It is taking out about 20 row foot per night and it is an animal that leaves large tunnels near the top of the soil. It is eating my onions off at the ground level. These are big fat onions so I do not believe that this is cutworms. Also there are too many signs of soil damage around where this is happening. I can set a live trap but what to put in it. This critter has a taste for onions but I do not know what else. What is this thing? I have a ton of beautiful onions but at this rate they will be gone and I will have lost my profit. So far it has not touched the red onions. Hmmmmm!
Shelly Elliott
Idle Thyme Farm
Carpenter, WY
www.IdleThymeFarms.com